In response to the urgent need of properly trained Filipino veterinarians who would combat the ravages of rinderpest which was then so widespread in the country, the College of Veterinary Science was founded on June 18, 1908 through Act No. 1870 by the Philippine Legislature. It was one of the original colleges of the University of the Philippines and was later renamed College of Veterinary Medicine (CVM).
The College with Dr. Archibald Ward being the first dean, started its first classes on June 4, 1910 with four students at the Animal Quarantine Station, Pandacan, Manila. In 1914, the first batch of students graduated in the then four-year DVM program.
Over the years, the college was transferred from one location to another. From Pandacan, it transferred to the immunizing station of the defunct Bureau of Agriculture at the Tayuman, San Lazaro District in Avenida;
then to Los Banos,
then back to Pandacan,
then to UP Diliman,
and finally back to UP Los Banos which remained to be its location until today.
The final transfer of CVM from UP Diliman to UP Los Baños was due to the approval of the Board of Regents in 1976, as decreed by the World Bank. As an offshoot of the decision, the Veterinary Teaching Hospital was maintained in UP Diliman while the College administration, academic departments and research facilities were gradually transferred to UPLB starting June 1983. At present, CVM maintains its facilities in three stations, namely, in UP Los Baños, Laguna; Diliman, Quezon City; and Maahas (formerly called Tabon), Los Baños, Laguna.
CVM was the only veterinary school in the country from until 1960 and during this time, it has produced 450 veterinarians or an average of nine a year. Since 1996, the College maintains three academic departments, namely, Department of Basic Veterinary Sciences, Department of Veterinary Paraclinical Sciences, and the Department of Veterinary Clinical Sciences. Currently, CVM has 101 full time personnel consisting of 38 faculty members, 52 administrative staff and seven research and extension personnel. It has also five affiliate faculty members from other units within UPLB and one Professor Emeritus. To date, CVM is the only veterinary school in the country offering Master of Science degree in veterinary medicine.
The College is one of the five units of UPLB which has been officially designated as Center of Excellence by the Commission on Higher Education (CHED) in 2000. CHED bestowed this honor to CVM in recognition of its leading role in the education of veterinary students through its academic, research and extension activities. Two of its faculty are members of the National Academy of Science and Technology (NAST), the highest advisory body to the President of the Republic on matters of science and technology.